West Campus Speech and Debate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Click here to visit the team website.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

the contents of your daily life.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
isotope

isotope

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2008-07-10

the contents of your daily life. Empty
PostSubject: the contents of your daily life.   the contents of your daily life. I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 11:41 am

excuse me, this is how i think an i have nothing better to do. if you don't like me, thorry.

"How many hours a day do you spend in front of a television screen? A computer screen? Behind an automobile windscreen? All three screens combined? What are you being screened from? How much of your life comes at you through a screen, vicariously?

Is watching things as exciting as doing things? Do you have enough time to do all the things that you want to? Do you have enough energy to? Why? And how many hours a day do you sleep? How are you affected by standardized time, designed solely to synchronize your movements with those of millions of other people? How long do you ever go without knowing what time it is? Who or what controls your minutes and hours? The minutes and hours that add up to your life? Are you saving time? Saving it up for what?

Can you put a value on a beautiful day, when the birds are singing and people are walking around together? How many dollars an hour does it take to pay you to stay inside and sell things or file papers? What can you get later that will make up for this day of your life?

How are you affected by being in crowds, by being surrounded by anonymous masses? Do you find yourself blocking your emotional responses to other human beings? And who prepares your meals? Do you ever eat by yourself? Do you ever eat standing up? How much do you know about what you eat and where it comes from? How much do you trust it?

What are we deprived of by labor-saving devices? By thought-saving devices? How are you affected by the requirements of efficiency, which place value on the product rather than the process, on the future rather than the present, the present moment that is getting shorter and shorter as we speed faster and faster into the future? What are we speeding towards? Are we saving time? Saving it up for what?

How are you affected by being moved around in prescribed paths, in elevators, buses, subways, escalators, on highways and sidewalks? By moving, working, and living in two- and three-dimensional grids? How are you affected by being organized, immobilized, and scheduled rather than wandering, roaming freely and spontaneously? Scavenging? (Shoplifting?) How much freedom of movement do you have--freedom to move through space, to move as far as you want, in new and unexplored directions?

And how are you affected by waiting? Waiting in line, waiting in traffic, waiting to eat, waiting for the bus, waiting to urinate--learning to punish and ignore your spontaneous urges? How are you affected by holding back your desires? By sexual repression, by the delay or denial of pleasure, starting in childhood, along with the suppression of everything in you that is spontaneous, everything that evidences your wild nature, your membership in the animal kingdom? Is pleasure dangerous?

Could danger be joyous? Do you ever need to see the sky? (Can you see many stars in it any more?) Do you ever need to see water, leaves, foliage, animals? Glinting, glimmering, moving? Is that why you have a pet, an aquarium, houseplants? Or are television and video your glinting, glimmering, moving? How much of your life comes at you through a screen, vicariously? If your life was made into a movie, would you watch it? How do you feel in situations of enforced passivity?

How are you affected by a non-stop assault of symbolic communication--audio, visual, print, billboard, video, radio, robotic voices--as you wander through a forest of signs? What are they urging upon you? Do you ever need solitude, quiet, contemplation? Do you remember it? Thinking on your own, rather than reacting to stimuli? Is it hard to look away?

Is looking away the very thing that is not permitted? Where can you go to find silence and solitude? Not white noise, but pure silence? Not loneliness, but gentle solitude? How often have you stopped to ask yourself questions like these? Do you find yourself committing acts of symbolic violence? Do you ever feel lonely in a way that words cannot even express?"
Back to top Go down
http://isotope-americanpessimist.blogspot.com
Jim Morrison

Jim Morrison

Number of posts : 53
Location : burning in hell for meddling in things I ought not to have meddled in
Registration date : 2008-08-17

PostSubject: Re: the contents of your daily life.   the contents of your daily life. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 1:50 pm

What's with Spanish Inquisition? Plus, kind of ironic that you posted all that on a screen when you were just ragging on "spending your life behind a screen." You know--maybe you're right with your "I am a victim" poem. You are proof that we all fall victim to our own hypocrisy. You preach such ideals, yet you cease to obey them because you think it would not behoove you to do so. You have such morals, but you still adjust your "made in Taiwan" computer screen so you can chat on Myspace. Not that we all aren't dirty little hypocrits--me especially--but we must be careful of what we imply that other people do. As Eric Clapton says, "Before you accuse me, take a look at yourself."
Back to top Go down
isotope

isotope

PostSubject: Re: the contents of your daily life.   the contents of your daily life. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 11:20 pm

i know, sammy. i the hugest hypocrite in the world. i'm simply awful. i can think of tons of stuff i could do, but there are reasons i can't.
that's a good quote. really. i SUCK. i know it too.

i'm a hypocrite, a liar, and a schemer. happy?
Back to top Go down
Jim Morrison

Jim Morrison

Location : burning in hell for meddling in things I ought not to have meddled in

PostSubject: Re: the contents of your daily life.   the contents of your daily life. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 5:27 pm

Okay, okay...sorry. I guess what I meant was that it was ironic is all--it's not that you suck, it's just that I saw that and I said what came to mind--you know me. But way to go guilting me like a Jewish mother, that's a handy skill in a pinch.
Back to top Go down
isotope

isotope

PostSubject: Re: the contents of your daily life.   the contents of your daily life. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 12:48 pm

ah...what? i know...it's ironic. i was thinking that as i posted it.

i got the guilt trip gene from my dad.
Back to top Go down
Jim Morrison

Jim Morrison

PostSubject: Re: the contents of your daily life.   the contents of your daily life. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 1:00 pm

Yeah, see, I got the smartass gene from my dad.
Back to top Go down
isotope

isotope

PostSubject: Re: the contents of your daily life.   the contents of your daily life. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 9:17 pm

you have succeeded in making me feel extremely stupid.
Back to top Go down
Jim Morrison

Jim Morrison

PostSubject: Re: the contents of your daily life.   the contents of your daily life. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 12:41 pm

WHAT?! NO--Awwwwwwww fuckshithelldamnpiss.

That is really not what I meant by what I was...fucketty.

By the way, guess who the "Energizer Bunny" is (wink wink).
Back to top Go down
Classic
Admin
Classic

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Re: the contents of your daily life.   the contents of your daily life. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 11:18 pm

Jim Morrison wrote:
WHAT?! NO--Awwwwwwww fuckshithelldamnpiss.

That is really not what I meant by what I was...fucketty.

By the way, guess who the "Energizer Bunny" is (wink wink).

as admin, the bar literally shows me the email of each new member. but i wont spoil the fun. . . .

MR WALTON.

jk. mr walton hasn't joined yet =]
Back to top Go down
http://www.wchs.t35.com
isotope

isotope

PostSubject: Re: the contents of your daily life.   the contents of your daily life. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 2:02 pm

sorry sam.

um...jeremy, you???
who?
Back to top Go down
Jim Morrison

Jim Morrison

PostSubject: Re: the contents of your daily life.   the contents of your daily life. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 7:36 pm

Well, Kristi, I hereby give you my unnecessary permission to delete the son of a...yeah.
CAST THE BUNNY INTO THE FIRES OF MOUNT DOOM!!!! NOW KRISTI--NOW!!! THE AGENTS OF THE DARK LORD ARE FOREVER TIED TO THE BUNNY--THEY CAN FEEL ITS EVERY MOVE! SO WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR: IT MUST BE DESTROYED!!!

Seriously though; I=SO sorry for incorrectly forging the bunny of power. Get a fellowship to take it to Moridor...or whatever.

...bunnies are devilishly cute though--NO! IT MUST BE DESTROYED!
Twisted Evil jocolor clown
Back to top Go down
isotope

isotope

PostSubject: Re: the contents of your daily life.   the contents of your daily life. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 9:40 pm

bunnies creep me out.
Back to top Go down
Jim Morrison

Jim Morrison

PostSubject: Re: the contents of your daily life.   the contents of your daily life. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 10:20 pm

Exactly. That is why it must be cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came. jocolor
Back to top Go down
isotope

isotope

PostSubject: Re: the contents of your daily life.   the contents of your daily life. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 10:50 am

or a fire breathing dragon.
Back to top Go down
Jim Morrison

Jim Morrison

PostSubject: Re: the contents of your daily life.   the contents of your daily life. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 12:51 pm

You never saw the Lord of the Rings movies, did you? That's why you're not getting those references, am I right? scratch
Back to top Go down
isotope

isotope

PostSubject: Re: the contents of your daily life.   the contents of your daily life. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 3:08 pm

i have not seen lord of the rings.

i'm getting these references from my head.
Back to top Go down
Jim Morrison

Jim Morrison

PostSubject: Re: the contents of your daily life.   the contents of your daily life. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 6:26 pm

Yup. Typical Isabel. But no worries: watching all the Lord of the Rings movies takes a week and a half anyway. Sleep jocolor
Back to top Go down
Classic
Admin
Classic

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Re: the contents of your daily life.   the contents of your daily life. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 8:14 am

isotope wrote:
bunnies creep me out.

i wish their eyes weren't so darn red.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wchs.t35.com
isotope

isotope

PostSubject: Re: the contents of your daily life.   the contents of your daily life. I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 7:18 pm

of all the things i say...you quote that one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the contents of your daily life.   the contents of your daily life. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

the contents of your daily life.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
West Campus Speech and Debate :: Members :: Speak and you shall be heard :: Impromptu-thon-
Jump to: