West Campus Speech and Debate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Click here to visit the team website.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum?

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Energizer Bunny

Energizer Bunny

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-08-25

Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum? Empty
PostSubject: Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum?   Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 1:51 pm

Right, so: exactly what is "the crossfire in public forum." Because that's the only confusing thing to me about public forum--except for the fact that I don't actually know what the rules are for public forum anyway--so could someone help clue me in on this, because I was thinking either public forum or policy debate for myself, and I know that many (including Mr. Walton) percieve policy too complicated and difficult, so I figured I better ask and see exactly what is the deal with both. But for now, I just want help understanding PF. albino
Back to top Go down
isotope

isotope

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2008-07-10

PostSubject: Re: Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum?   Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 9:13 pm

being new to this, let's see if i can describe.
in PF there are 3 minutes between 1st speakers, 2nd speakers and after all speakers. during this time the speakers involved in that bit can ask each other questions. the point of cross ex is to try and make the other person admit something without them realizing it.

ithink...
Back to top Go down
http://isotope-americanpessimist.blogspot.com
Jim Morrison

Jim Morrison

Number of posts : 53
Location : burning in hell for meddling in things I ought not to have meddled in
Registration date : 2008-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum?   Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 12:55 pm

That's a bit mellower than I think it is, Isabel. The way Lan described it to me, it sounded like kind of a free for all shouting match almost, but I guess it's usually more civilized than that....I think policy is the way to go for me, but I want to talk to Lan more about that, because I have lots more to ask her about that...plus I need to find someone else who wants to policy debate w/me (hint hint). Twisted Evil jocolor albino
Back to top Go down
isotope

isotope

PostSubject: Re: Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum?   Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 2:00 pm

i guess it can be a screaming match...if you want it to be.
i'm kind of unformally on jeremy's team. he doesn't really seem to care though. not speaking for him. i don't really get policy. i'll try n figure it out and i'll think about it. you know, i think policy is one topic all year. that could be a very good thing. since you want to do policy, what's it again??
Back to top Go down
Jim Morrison

Jim Morrison

Location : burning in hell for meddling in things I ought not to have meddled in

PostSubject: Re: Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum?   Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 7:53 pm

Okay, so I don't actually know what policy is...but I have a general idea--plus the meeting today cleared a lot up for me--I WILL LEARN, be sure of that. Anyway, Lan said that policy is kind of the elite--right w/LD--and PF is right below that. She said though that if I wanted to even think about policy as an option this year though that I would have to find someone who was basically just as crazy as I am...and I know how you love to be insane--just think about it: we already know each other's speaking abilities, and we can work hard together--so really, there's no reason for you NOT to be my policy debate partner.

However, I could definitely see getting used to PF and THEN shooting for policy, but I would just really rather debate w/you if I could...but if not, then go gallivanting off into parlimentary or some such nonsense, and I'll find someone else. Oh, and FYI: not that he's not good or anything, but Jeremy is a teensy bit flaky on research--he's an excellent speaker, and he always got better points than me, but I'm think'n that he'd probably go for parlimentary b/c he has a lot of other extra ciricular activities besides speech and debate.

Crying or Very sad please be on my team Crying or Very sad you'er so @#$%ing good. Embarassed Arrow Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
isotope

isotope

PostSubject: Re: Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum?   Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 9:36 pm

yeah, i know he is. he was always copying my tcharts.
when you put it that way, i can't say no. when someone tells me i'm insane and crazy and a good debater...

ok. fine. yes, i will debate with you sam. i mean "jim"...

(wtf?)
Back to top Go down
Jim Morrison

Jim Morrison

PostSubject: Re: Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum?   Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 10:28 pm

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSs!!!!!!!! HEELLLLLLL YEEAH!

WHOO!!! you make me so happy sometimes*sniff; tear*

sunny Also, are you asking WTF w/Jim Morrison, because anyone who asks who Jim Morrison is will automatically recieve a lecture on the musical importance of Jim Morrison. Ever hear of the Doors? Or seen the movie the Doors?

Anyway, you are now in my hall of fame--right up there with Jim Morrison. flower sunny rendeer santa cherry cheers
Back to top Go down
isotope

isotope

PostSubject: Re: Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum?   Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 10:49 am

yes, i HAVE heard the doors.
aww, sammy don't cry. ha. alien
Back to top Go down
Jim Morrison

Jim Morrison

PostSubject: Re: Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum?   Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 12:48 pm

Well, I was kind of exaggerating when I posted all those crying faces...but it was only because that's how much I care. Wink pirat
Back to top Go down
isotope

isotope

PostSubject: Re: Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum?   Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 3:06 pm

i so want to be a vampire.
Back to top Go down
Jim Morrison

Jim Morrison

PostSubject: Re: Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum?   Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 6:32 pm

Is that what was going on when I caught you eating human flesh that one time?

Oh, Isabel--really. *tsk, tsk, tsk*
jocolor
Back to top Go down
isotope

isotope

PostSubject: Re: Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum?   Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 8:32 pm

rawr.
Back to top Go down
Jim Morrison

Jim Morrison

PostSubject: Re: Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum?   Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 9:43 pm

Wow. You need to take a class in being coherant when you talk...I mean "rawr?"
What the hell is that? Seriously. Why even post that if it doesn't even mean anything--
or is it because it doesn't mean anything? Ahhh....NOW we get to the crux of the matter... this seemingly random obsession with randomness...You know...you're not the only one with this fixation. It has become, as they say, a youthful FAD. Yes, my friend, the 60's were about peace, love, drugs, and blues. The 70's were about fashion, drugs, and rock n' roll. 80's: disco, afros, the birth of metal, and more drugs. 90's: nothing much except drugs...And now, in recent years, what is it all about: being different and, oh yes, the drugs are still there to a certain extent.

To sum up, I find the obsession with randomness annoying while still entertaining sometimes...but "rawr?"
WHYYY???!!??!? scratch Suspect
Back to top Go down
isotope

isotope

PostSubject: Re: Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum?   Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 12:39 pm

merely because it means nothing.

because i was thinking (i do that a lot) that people often claim they have a ton of friends, but they really don't know them. people say things that don't mean anything...just to say things. i'm a victim of that, i know. it just irks me.
Back to top Go down
Jim Morrison

Jim Morrison

PostSubject: Re: Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum?   Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 2:15 pm

Huh...That sure is a round-about way of explaining it...but, hey: we ALL have stuff like that.

I have a strange affinity with musical instruments and nature that I could try to explain, but it probably would never make any sense. Wink
Back to top Go down
isotope

isotope

PostSubject: Re: Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum?   Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 3:21 pm

try it.
Back to top Go down
Jim Morrison

Jim Morrison

PostSubject: Re: Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum?   Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 4:41 pm

Okay...You know that one time when I told you that a good poem is one that you can feel coursing through your veins? Well, when I play my drums, my guitar, I can feel that feral animal inside me dance with a kind of triumphant rage that only true love has the capability of mimicking. I feel such deep bond with my drum kit in particular--I don't know why, I just always have liked drums. My mom always told me that when I was a todler, a baby, even, that nothing would get me more excited than things in the shape of drum sticks. When I was 3, I was the only one in pre-school that stood up on his cot during nap time and conduct the classical music that was playing when I was supposed to be sleeping--everyone else was, but I could feel the music beat in my heart. It was there, pumping through me wildly with my very blood.

Since then I've learned how to play the piano with relative decency, and I am now teaching myself guitar, but my great strength, it seems is beating the hell out of those drums that take up a sizable ammount of space in my room. I don't mean to brag, but over the years I've gotten quite good, and that wonderful, magical feeling tends to be stronger now when I play along with somebody--that's what the drums are meant for--and it's kind of sad, in a way, because I rarely have that opportunity...You can only practice for so long before you get bored.

Anyway, that's why I don't like going to concerts. I get that feeling through me, but it turns into a longing to get up on the stage and play my guts out.

I wonder, do you feel that way when you play the violin--like there can be nothing in the entire world except you and the instrument when your playing it? Then when you stop, you wish you could've kept playing?...Maybe not...

....I get that feeling about debate, though, too--only in a more competetive sort of way. Neutral
Back to top Go down
isotope

isotope

PostSubject: Re: Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum?   Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 4:50 pm

that's awesome. i don't think i can beat conducting in preschool! i remember i had my "music outfit" though. i had these hot pink overalls, red sunglasses and this huge floppy hat and i would dance around the house for hours. i so wish i was a little kid again. it's really cool taht you play drums. i hope to figure it out at some point.

i do kind of get that feeling when i play violin. i haven't played in a while though, and my sister took my violin. i get that about debate too. debate's the only thing i get really competative about.
Back to top Go down
Jim Morrison

Jim Morrison

PostSubject: Re: Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum?   Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 5:13 pm

What do you mean "she took it?" TAKE THAT SUCKER BACK!!!! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
isotope

isotope

PostSubject: Re: Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum?   Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 5:35 pm

more, my dad gave it to her. so i'm going to go out and get a new one in the next week or so.
Back to top Go down
Jim Morrison

Jim Morrison

PostSubject: Re: Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum?   Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 6:01 pm

Oh...okay, well, what did you mean before when you said "I hope to figure it out at some point?"
Back to top Go down
isotope

isotope

PostSubject: Re: Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum?   Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 6:09 pm

i'm not quite sure. drums, bass, guitar...i'm working on figuring it out.
Back to top Go down
Jim Morrison

Jim Morrison

PostSubject: Re: Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum?   Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 6:19 pm

Holy...somethig! You should sing and I'll teach you how to play guitar--we could make a band, I just gotta make some calls!

Seriously, though--even if you just want to play the violin (already good at it), we could make a band--really! I've been looking around for quite some time to make a band after my first attempt with Adam, Jeremy, and some other guys totally failed (long story short, I was totally game, but they couldn't make the songs happen).

...Plus, I already have all of the instruments you just mentioned in my room. Right now, sitting next to me as I type, are two electric guitars and amps, 1 full size drum kit, one bass guitar and bass amp, and one accoustic guitar. I would so love to jam with anybody--even if it's a violinist.

Wait, what am I saying?...ESPECIALLY if it is a violinist. sunny santa jocolor cherry farao cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
isotope

isotope

PostSubject: Re: Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum?   Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 6:22 pm

awesome.

i'm really not surprised that you're band with jeremy and adam didn't work out. adam was trying to organize something in june and it totally fell through.

please keep in mind though, that i can only play a total of about 8 notes and 1 chord on the guitar, have never so much as tuned a bass and can only play 2 songs on the piano. also, being classically trained, i'm kind of bad at just figuring stuff out/making anything up. i'll give it a shot though! you have to put up with various awful noises and slow learning.
Back to top Go down
Jim Morrison

Jim Morrison

PostSubject: Re: Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum?   Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 6:32 pm

So it will be like Mr. B's debate camp. Big deal--I have a lot that I can teach you about any musical instrument, pretty much.

EXCEPT the violin--I actually tried to play the violin once. Really, no joke--couldn't do it, though. Found out, to my suprise that I was allergic to rosin.

And I'm guessing the reason why you didn't mention your expertise in the violin is because you are under the mistaken impression that violin and drums don't go together: beleive me, they sound awsome. You should listen to a band called Rasputina: all-girl band of chellists and 1 drummer--most amazing sound.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum?   Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Exactly what is "the crossfire" in public forum?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next