West Campus Speech and Debate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Click here to visit the team website.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

humorous interpretaion

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Classic
Admin
Classic

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2008-07-04

humorous interpretaion Empty
PostSubject: Re: humorous interpretaion   humorous interpretaion I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2008 5:09 pm

no. u must prepare it urself.

first, find a script or dialogue from your published source. make a xerox copy of the words you wish to use. literally cut out anything you don't want.

x_x [edit]

I don't have much info on it right now, but I will find some in the future. I highly recommend checking out some high school forensic team websites.

Last edited by Classic on Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.wchs.t35.com
LanLe

LanLe

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-07-30

PostSubject: Re: humorous interpretaion   humorous interpretaion I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 3:36 am

In high school competitions, Humorous interpreters do not need a binder. That is only a prerequisite for
college competitions. Humorous Interpretation involves performing published piece of work in a comedic manner.
The author’s intention should be retained. The maximum time is 10 minutes, including an introduction to one’s
piece. Props are prohibited.

Those are the general rules. Are you interested in how it is performed? Or how to compete competitively against
other Humorous Interpers?
Back to top Go down
isotope

isotope

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2008-07-10

PostSubject: Re: humorous interpretaion   humorous interpretaion I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2008 10:08 am

how it is performed.
Back to top Go down
http://isotope-americanpessimist.blogspot.com
Classic
Admin
Classic

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Re: humorous interpretaion   humorous interpretaion I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2008 8:03 pm

Thanks, Lan; I'll edit that part out.

Sorry for the error Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.wchs.t35.com
LanLe

LanLe

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-07-30

PostSubject: Re: humorous interpretaion   humorous interpretaion I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2008 5:24 am

I was planning to perform an HI piece too during this Thursday's meeting. Will you be able to make it on August 9, 2008? I could
reschedule/add another meeting.

In order to be competitive, you need to display a large amount of tech in HI. This involves "popping" into different characters.
Transitions could be established through creating sounds. Ex. After you transition from the playground to the kitchen, you could
make "bzzzzz" sound. Whatever transition technique you choose, it should be consistent. Otherwise, the judges would be confused.

Also, the introduction is fairly important. It generally ranges from 30 seconds-1:30. It establishes the mood for your piece. Ideally,
it would enrapture the audience immediately. Often, HI-ers would include a snippet of their piece, known as the teaser. Then they
would properly introduce their piece.

Introduction Example: (Note: I wrote his piece. It cannot be used as an HI piece. )
Billy: Sometimes I feel like a piece of poo because I always attract overgrown flies.

Bully: I’m going to snap your head and grind it up and turn you to beef jerky!

Mean girl: *cheering enthusiastically* U-G-L-Y, you ain’t got no alibi, you ...interesting!

Billy: They are always picking on me. And it makes me so angry. What should I do?

Evil girl: *Rubbing a cat* Hello Billy Boy. Let us set fire to the school! It’s what you want isn’t it? These conformists…if they want to be like each other so much, let them die together!

Billy: Fire? Mommy told me not to play with fire.

Evil girl: Don’t worry. I …took care of mommy. Here take the matchsticks. I’m sure you’ll change your mind.

Billy: Ooh…me likey. *Billy lights a matchstick while giggling like a maniac*

Goth friend: Yes, that’s right Billy…use that anger. Then release your wrath onto your fellow 5th graders! Make them call for their mommy. Get their hopes up … and then slam their dreams down! *Slams cat on the floor/ Splat sound* Darn it. Now I have to get new one.

Performer: Insert a witty joke and introduce the piece. Ex. In life, where there is a Billy, there is a bully. School ought to be a sanctuary for the intellectually inclined. Not a graveyard. Then mention title of the piece and author. Ex. “Billy’s Back” by Lan Le.

Clichés aside, this is a basic example of an introduction. You can always adjust it to maximize the effect. Hopefully that was not too
confusing. It will clearer through demonstration.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: humorous interpretaion   humorous interpretaion I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

humorous interpretaion
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
West Campus Speech and Debate :: Members :: Speak and you shall be heard :: General :: Individual Events-
Jump to: